Monday 20 February 2012

A weekend in Sevilla

Hi y’all. I couldn’t help starting that way, just to make up for all of the “y’alls” I lose here—not really on the tops list as far as words I use. ;)

Big news! Big big! I was accepted as an RUF intern! I should know my campus placement by the end of March, at which point I’ll start raising funds. If I’ve raised 85% of my budget, I’ll get to move ahead and go to my campus sometime in August! [I’m very excited about this.]

In other news, last Friday night was fun. Picture this. A French girl, a Polish girl, and 3 Americans, all speaking in Spanish, go out for Mexican food (which is quite a rarity, let me tell you) in Seville, Spain. Yep. That’s a regular Friday night for me. I’ve found myself in situations here that would be nothing but ridiculous back in Birmingham. But here, 3 different nationalities and a second language all around is quite normal. It was quite fun, for the record!

Also, Ellie, Sara, and I have decided to find a favorite cafe in Sevilla this semester. We live really close to this area called “La Alameda de Hercules,” and it is positively surrounded by little cafes and restaurants. On Thursday, Friday, or Saturday evenings, it’s swarming with socializing Spaniards. It’s so very festive! Instead of having people over to their apartments, Sevillians just meet out at a cafe, many of them in the alameda. (which means “mall,” to give you an idea of what it's like.) So, as we live 3 minutes away from this jewel, we’ve decided to find a cafe to call our own. We started this quest on Sunday night by eating at a little restaurant that had rather delicious pizza. It is only a restaurant, though, so it can’t count as our favorite cafe. On our way back home, there was a jazz group putting on a concert in one of the cafes near us. How delightful! I’m all full of new appreciation for this unique area in Sevilla.

I have a regular week of work this week, and then on Friday Ellie and I head to London again. This time, we’re staying for 5 nights! So exciting. We hope to see Matilda the musical, which I’m reallyexcited about. So. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep this blog somewhat updated. But if not, I apologize in advance. Just expect lots of interesting things upon my return. :)

Peace!

Here's a picture of the Alameda. Hopefully I'll take some of my own some day soon. :)


1 comment:

  1. gosh, the alameda looks like so much fun! I can't wait to hear about the cafe you pick and all the interesting characters you encounter there. Enjoy London! (i know you will...)

    ReplyDelete